Monday, July 1, 2013

Giro Rosa 2013 - Stage 2 Results & Comments

Giorgia Bronzini wins Stage 2 of Giro Rosa while Marianne Vos avoids a spectacular crash. Photo: Giro Rosa Press Office

The former World Champion Giorgia Bronzini (Geelong 2010 and Copenhagen 2011) won Stage 2 of Giro Rosa in  a bunch sprint on the Pontecagnano Fagnano circuit. Marianne Vos took second place on the stage and stays in pink. Bronzini, after her seventh victory of the season, said: “I am more than happy. My last victory at the Giro came back in 2008, a lifetime ago. Yesterday was a bad day for me. I punctured on both of my wheels at the same time and when my teammate was giving me her wheel, a rider crashed into her”.

In the final sprint, Marianne Vos came close to crashing down but her exceptional bike handling skills saved her. Vos explains: “Even though I didn’t win the stage I must celebrate for not falling off my bike. I was just about to crash with the whole peloton coming down on me. My shoe got out of the pedal because of a small hole in the road. Thanks to my skills, and maybe a bit of luck, nothing happened”.

New rider in the White Jersey is Barbara Guarischi who took it from Danish Julie Leth. “It’s amazing to see my name on the podium with Bronzini and Vos. I am very excited. This has never happened in such an important race before”, Guarischi says.

Tomorrow’s Stage 3 a tricky one. The 102 km start andfFinish in Castel Volturno (CS) where Noemi Cantele (one of the big absents from the race) won back in 2009.

Stage 2 results:
1. Bronzini Giorgia (Wiggle Honda)
2. Vos Marianne (Rabo Woman Cycling Team) s.t.
3. Guarischi Barbara (Vaiano Fondriest) s.t.
4. Hall Lauren (Nazionale Usa) s.t.
5. Collins Emily (Wiggle Honda) s.t.
6. Ferrand Prevot Pauline (Rabo Woman Cycling Team) s.t.
7. Kozonchuk Oxana (Rusvelo) s.t.
8. Johnsen Cecilies Gotas (Hitec Products) s.t.
9. Amialiusik Alena (BePink) s.t.
10. Tagliaferro Marta (MCipollini Giordana) s.t.

Overall GC:
1. Vos Marianne (Rabo Woman Cycling Team)
2. Tagliaferro Marta (MCipollini Giordana) a 17"
3. Guarischi Barbara (Vaiano Fondriest) a 17''
4. Leth Julie (Hitec Products) a 17"
5. Visser Adrie (Boels Dolmans Cycling Team) a 19''

The 5 Jerseys:
Leader: Marianne Vos (Rabo Woman Cycling Team)
Points: Marianne Vos (Rabo Woman Cycling Team)
KOM: Valentina Scandolara (MCipollini Giordana)
Youth: Barbara Guarischi (Vaiano Fondriest)
Best Italian: Marta Tagliaferro (MCipollini Giordana)

By: Alberto Celani & Mikkel Condé

No comments:

Post a Comment